6 types of Nigerian tailors we come across (sooner or later)

Nigerian tailors

Hi Guys! Let’s talk about the different kinds of Nigerian tailors today we all come across sooner or later. Lol. I am certain that I am not the only one who has stories from encounters with some Nigerian tailors.

The Perfect tailor.

Ok let’s call this “almost perfect” Nigerian tailor ( I feel like perfect ones only exist in our imagination). You give this ones material to sew for you and he or she measures you, sews exactly what you have in mind or even better, and it sizes you perfectly. Not too tight, not too prudish. You wear the finished product to rave reviews ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿพ from your friends and colleagues and you even get more customers for said good tailor.

The “I wanna belong crew”.

These Nigerian tailors claim to be experts but are only expert in talking and bragging. They don’t know what on earth you mean by ruffle and ballerina but they will never tell you so.

They may even turn it to fight if you insist. Never tell this sort to sew you jump suits because their sewing is horrible and the end product looks nothing like what you showed him or her .

You describe to this type of tailors the kind of segcy gown you saw on Bellanaija, and even show them the pictures of front, back, left and right. They assure you they know how to sew it, and that in fact “the tailor that sewed the one on bellanaija did not get it well” ๐Ÿ˜.

However, your heart sinks when you finally collect it. The end product resembles nothing like the design.

Nigerian tailors

And if you dare say that ” this is not what I told you to sew, they never concur, they tell you ” but that is the design you showed /described to me nah”.

Oh! Did I tell you they also never accept faults.

The expensive tailors.

This ones charge you an arm and a leg for the exact same thing you sewed for a cheaper price elsewhere. Ironically, expensive doesn’t always mean perfect and these ones claim to sew clothes for Governors and senators and their wives and make you feel like they are doing you a favour by sewing for you. Don’t you dare bring an inferior material to these ones because their sewing fee is going to buy your material ten times over. Lol.

There’s the “seemingly deaf and never get it right tailor. ”

These set of Nigerian tailors make you wonder if they graduated from tailoring school. They never ever get the style you give to them. Whether it is simple or complicated, the final version sewn will never fit you.

Nigerian tailors

Via @ Vunderkind

They nod and gesticulate when you describe what you want but they sew what they like. These ones are the only set whose amendments are even worse than the original badly sewn one. After “amendments”you look pregnant and like you have three boobs.

The local tailors

Local Nigerian tailors know their place. They’re very good at sewing iro and buba, fixing worn zips and doing small adjustments. Just don’t bring your expensive ask ebi to these ones or tell them to add materials for you or you are liable to end up with shiny, outdated materials which they tell you is ” reigning”. Lol. They are local champions and they know it. They don’t pretend they are doing you a favour by making you a dress, neither do they charge you excessively. They stay in their local lane and charge you for the kind of service you will expect to get from them. Nothing fancy, elaborate or tasking.

The lying crew

Nigerian tailors

Via @YINGY_FLEMMING

This is like a club so most if not all of the above types of tailors are all members. It’s like a secret club that they all get indoctrinated to. Here is what I imagine their oath looks like.

I pledge to lie to my customers that I can finish their cloth in two days even when I have to sew for an entire bridal team. I also pledge to lie to said customer that their clothes are ready when I am yet to even cut it. I pledge to lie that my great grandmother arose from the dead just so I can buy time and avert their wrath. Lol

Am I lying? They start their lies from day one. They first of all tell you they aren’t over charging you and proceed to recite the price of everything they have to buy for your cloth. In fact, they are hardly “making any gain” they tell you #Yimu.

The always-disappointing crew

This one too is a club, but it’s not compulsory membership like the lying one, therefore only those who are interested subscribe. These ones have never not disappointed. They collect your money and either don’t pick your call or you get there the day before the wedding you bought N40k Aso ebi for to collect your cloth and the tailor has not even touched your cloth. Lol.
It always takes a lot of threats, phone calls and fights before you finally get the finished cloth. You vow never to go to them again but whosai? Next aso ebi that lands your way, You still end up there.lol.

Nigerian tailor

Via @ Chidubem_O

I have encountered almost all of the above and my encounter with Blesing the tailor is what inspired this post. Ironically I thought Blessing was a standard tailor. Her mannequins displayed the most beautiful clothes. My people! She finished sewing the clothes but they had no fitting. None whatsoever. I was so disappointed. Not like her charges was even cheap.

So Guys! What tailor tales do you have for us? What group does your Tailor fall in? Whether they call themselves fashion designer or tailor by their works thou shall know them. Lol.

All memes from Zikoko. So many more here:

Anu
    August 29, 2017 at 7:28 pm

There’s the group that steal material and the one that will disown the day you both agreed the cloth will be ready. They can swear on their ancestors grave on top that

August 29, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Haha. I feel you on the material stealers. Even six yards is not enough for a straight gown when it comes to them. Forget about getting headtie. All they are after is how to get their portion out of your material.
      Lol. I haven’t met the second group. That will be very annoying oh. The ones who disappoint at least pretend to have been busy or look for an excuse.

August 29, 2017 at 7:56 pm

hmmmm…lemme not even start. is it the one who has a material that belongs to me&my sister bt refuses to sew or return,even putting up a fight after she ran out of excuses since 2013 o after being fully paid.
    another one makes clothes like u were born with them but can disappoint even God;he also has our material since 2014 plus 3/4 of d charges o;imagine,he sometimes would ask for ur prayers when u call or threaten.
    i asked one to do a little resizing in a skirt &she cut out d flay part of it which was d beauty therein.i cld go on&on

August 29, 2017 at 8:24 pm

You guys are cracking me up.
      What has resizing got to do with cutting the beauty out of it. SMH.
      Can you imagine the one asking for prayers. He really needs it. Talent without discipline ๐Ÿ˜‚.
      2013 and 2014 ke? It’s like my tailors are saints sef. One who has my cloth with her since 2015 managed to finish it. Oya put linen, na so she hold the cloth ransom since then.
      Aunty give me my cloth now, she will ask me to come and sew another one so she can buy the material for linen from the money I give her. Imagine!

August 29, 2017 at 8:23 pm

I forgot to say you’re beautiful

August 30, 2017 at 7:17 am

Awww. Thanks love. This was so unexpected and I am blushing ๐Ÿ˜†

August 30, 2017 at 4:15 am

Hahaha these tailors also exist in Cameroon! I am yet to see a perfect one oo. Their excuses no be here. And they never say they can’t sew something. They agree to everything then take your material and spoil it. Haha

September 5, 2017 at 5:35 am

Lol. They are like MTN. Everywhere you go. I have a good one, but I can’t say she’s perfect. But she’s the best I have seen. Delivers on time, no lies, very professional, and clothes almost always have fitting.
      I give her at least 7/10 cos she has her off days and buys you sub standard stuff or sews her version of what you want.
      She either wastes clothes or something happens to the remainder. I am not sure. All I know is material is never enough for her.

Mima
    August 30, 2017 at 8:59 am

My tailor that was supposed to sew my dress for my brother’s wedding decided to alter the style, probably because she felt my chosen style was indecent. I went from looking like sister of the groom to mother of the groom. One would think I have learnt my lesson, but I still gave her two materials to sew, hopefully I don’t cry when I go and collect them during the week.

September 5, 2017 at 5:39 am

Lol at mother of the groom. Those tailors can know how to kill someone’s vibe ehn. Shebi she would have declined.
      I know all about not learning lessons.Hope refuses to die. Something just keeps taking us back until the final showdown lol.
      Have you collected it? How did it go?

Mima
        September 11, 2017 at 12:57 pm

I collected it on Friday. Lol. She didn’t give it shape, idk how to explain that. After going through the stress of growing bumbum, this woman doesn’t want me to shine. I’m looking for another tailor, sorry, fashion designer in Lagos abeg.

September 13, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Awwww.Sorry for the disappointment although I guess you must have been bracing yourself.
          Lol, don’t mind her. I understand about the shape stuff. Just look for another one and don’t give them expensive stuff for starters.

September 2, 2017 at 8:15 am

Lol. This is such a fun post. โ€œthe tailor that sewed the one on bellanaija did not get it well” cracked me up.

Because I sew clothes, my experiences with tailors aren’t so bad.

September 5, 2017 at 5:43 am

Thanks dear.
      Lucky you. Funny enough people who can sew can be very critical of tailors misdeeds.
      If you give my mum’s cloth to a tailor to see, she has lots of stuff she notices and correction to make when it arrives. To make matters worse my 7/10 tailor chose to be 2/10 with my mum’s gowns. It was awful.

Yetunde Olasiyan
    September 7, 2017 at 8:24 am

I have my own recent tale of woe from a male tailor I stumbled on. I gave him two clothes to sew first, his charges were very reasonable, he delivered on time and I was impressed.
    So I gave him a very impressive lace I got from my late mom’s wardrobe. I told him it was a special cloth yet he spent the money I paid for sewing and kept the clothe since July. This is sept and he keeps posting me. Last time I saw the cloth, he had altered the style completely. I wanted to take it anyways and look for where to adjust but he didn’t let me.
    Now, he is even arrogant about it. Making me to look like the bad one. I am exasperated. Once I get it, I will run without looking back.

September 13, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Can you imagine. One would think he would have taken better care after you told him it was your mum’s.
      Babe! Just bold face and go and carry your clothe. Although I am one to talk. I have one with a tailor close to my house and she has refused to release it. I don’t have the strength to go and start talking there or figure how to take it from her. They won’t do it, and they wont allow you to carry it. Funny people.

Two Weddings and A Guest – mims' blog
    September 18, 2017 at 12:54 pm

[…] Tobi’s wedding was on the 9th of September and it was strictly by invitation, so I couldn’t go with my gang to eat my aso-ebi money sha. I didn’t plan to do any serious make up, but I spent the night in Kenny’s place and she beat the hell out of my face the next morning. That was my first facebeat and when she was done I really was seeing an entirely different person in the mirror. I got to the venue in time for the traditional wedding and by the time the reception started, I was hungry enough to eat my money’s worth. I ate everything they brought, I turned nothing down except alcohol though. My tailor sort of didn’t get my style well, actually I gave her the materials for the two weddings and she sewed what she liked. After working hard to grow my butt, this woman didn’t make my gowns fitted, people of this world sha! Ahn ahn, after all my hard work. I gave her to “slimfit” them, but they still didn’t turn out the way I wanted. And I paid her plenty money oh, when she said the amount she was collecting, I didn’t even haggle, I paid and yet she decided to do her own thing. I’d have done a post ranting about these Nigerian tailors but Bisola already echoed my thoughts on her site. […]