Let the world call you old fashioned

Old fashioned

A while back, I came across This post on Precious’s blog written by her husband on being called “old fashioned”because he wanted to bring up his children to take responsibility, know the consequences of disobedience, avoid laziness and respect their elders.

And that word ” old fashioned” struck me because I have been called names before. I am sure some of us know the kind of names I am talking about ; Names meant to mock and disparage whatever point you are trying to make or your lifestyle ; Names that make you feel like an outsider rather than an insider .

I have had an ex ask me if I was Virgin Mary when I refused his offer to hook up years after we hooked “apart” lol.

I remember that a fellow lawyer, an older man who is very much married, told me that I was not current or I was old fashioned( I have forgotten the exact phrase) just because I politely kept putting him in his place every time he tried to suggest that he wanted to take me out, or ask when I was free for lunch etc. I knew he wanted to have an affair with me, and that so wasn’t gonna happen.
His demeanor and comments towards me therefore ranged from angry to kind to pissed to irritated.
Plus I am not a make up or jewellery person so you best believe I have heard a lot of funny stuff because of my choices.

I have noticed that we Christians are sometimes so afraid of being called old fashioned that we eschew our biblical principles just to be called hip and current. Just to prove that we are modern.

And the question is why we do we have to conform to the world instead of been transformed as the Bible counsels?
Why do we have to apologize and be called names because we are not toeing the way of the world?
Why do I have to feel bad for not sleeping around, for abstaining from sex, or not dressing seductively.
Why does Mr N( Precious’s husband) have to apologize for wanting to bring up his kids in a godly manner and not in the way of the world?

Old fashioned

The world is never going to come around to the Christian way of values: Celibacy, abstinence, dressing modestly, tithing, forgiving and turning the other cheek etc. Basically obeying God is NEVER going to be the popular choice.

We should therefore not be afraid to stand out from the crowd, to think differently, to hold steadfastly to our values irrespective of the derogatory taunts of the majority.

The world WILL not understand your need to keep your body till marriage or abstain from drinking and smoking ; Nor the need to please and obey God the father or the fact you don’t need to be naked and expose your body to attract the opposite sex?
How can they comprehend the sanctity of marriage vows?
The mystery of biblical giving and tithing ? Or that you don’t need to steal and lie before you make it in life?

This is why no Christian should mind being called old fashioned.
If being called old fashioned means adhering to what my father (God) wants. I don’t mind.
Call me whatever you like. What matters is not what man calls me but what heaven is calling me.

If my father in heaven is happy with me then I don’t give a hoot. ( Ok! it may pain me small after all I am only human) but I eventually focus on what’s important. And you should too.

P. S Old fashioned in this context means godly biblical values oh. Not in terms of dressing like we are still in 1900, tradition or thinking like a cave man lol ( but if that’s your thing good for you abeg).

P.S.S This post was first published last year on my other blog and I have edited it briefly 😌 ( I think I will post a few more). It is such an apt post and even though I wrote it, it still resonates with me even now. Let me know what you think.

Christian Life

August 10, 2017 at 9:56 am

Very right. As christians, we don’t have to care about what the world says but what God says because we are not measured by their standard but by God’s standard.

August 11, 2017 at 10:28 am

Thanks dear. We are only accountable to God so his standards should be our measuring standard.

August 10, 2017 at 11:41 am

i still experience this but more when i was a teeneager&a youmg adult bt it usually doesn’t get to me cos i see such people as ‘ajègbodò’ like d Yorubas wld say.mum always referred us to ICor 10:23.
    we must remain focused&refuse to let none of those things get to us.however,some of these mockers secretly covet some of our lifestyles&beliefs but have no power/grace to do embrace same.

August 14, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Hmm! That last sentence is everything. I think it can be frustrating to some of this people that some people dare to stand firm which is why they try to make us feel bad by being mean.
      I didn’t grow up as a Christian so I didn’t have to go through this particular stuff. I was in the world so to speak so of course there was nothing to castigate lol. All I had to battle then was self esteem and stuff. I didn’t start to experience this stuff until adulthood when I got serious with God.
      Kudos to you for standing firm even as a youth.

August 15, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Amen! Thanks for the reference, darling. The person who called Mr, N old-fashioned did so because we don’t allow our kids to watch any kind of cartoon plus other shows their kids watch. I have discovered that as Christians, when we pursue God, we just can’t fit into the world. There’s just no way to conform when we are following the word of God. We have to choose the right path. The world might not celebrate you but if God celebrates you that is okay. Afterall scripture says, narrow is the way that leads to life. Our world may evolve but the word of God remains the same!

August 16, 2017 at 10:18 am

You are welcome Sis. I think people ought to respect other people’s lives, way of dressing, mentality, how they raise their kids, live their lives. All this name calling and unsolicited advice comes from people thinking they have the right to butt into people’s lives and air their opinion.
      I meet so many people I do not necessarily agree with what they do but it isn’t hard to keep my mouth shut. That kind of old fashioned talk is only allowed as a joke or teasing between extremely close people. Not just random strangers.
      Sure! That was one of my realisation. In fact if they World is hailing you, you have to take a hard look at yourself. The world didn’t like Jesus, they didn’t understand him and he didn’t seek for or court their approval.
      That last sentence is bae. God is the same. The same one talking to us is the one that spoke to Abraham, Adam, Isaiah, Jeremiah. No matter how the tradition of the world changes, God’s standard doesn’t change. All he wants is that we put him first.