When to keep your mouth shut

When to keep your mouth shut

The words in this pic from Tumblr  is very apt. Isn’t it amazing that all 20 points are backed up with bible verses. 😀

Number 1 on keeping shut when angry has been a long hard road for me especially when it seems like the person is bent on frustrating you. I realized that talking when angry isn’t actually good for me because most of the time I would have tried to control myself, but when I can’t, the words that come out are not pretty. I realized I usually felt remorseful after the anger had passed and I would now be the one trying to settle with the person. Things is, they were usually too mad to forgive me easily, I would then have to beg and beg. After a while it just clicked, control yourself. And I try to do so now knowing that anger always passes. It’s not easy I tell ya but it’s better than it used to be by God’s grace.

Number 6 on joking about sin can be a bit tricky if you work with colleagues like mine who goof around a lot.

Number 7 can also mean keeping shut if you will regret your words. There are stuff we agree with others or gossip about that we feel ashamed of what we did AFTER we have said it.

For number 14 I would add…..  Don’t open your mouth when you are in a bad mood. It’s so easy to tongue lash others or take our bad moods out on them but it’s not worth it because the bad mood passes but the words don’t.

I am also feeling number 13 on destroying friendships. A lot of times friendships and relationships get strained from one party’s inability to carefully choose their words. Even when you think you are done with that person, don’t burn all bridges with angry words. One time my friend annoyed me so much and I was so angry and went all out. I could have sworn we were done but thankfully we are closer than ever. If not for love and forgiveness, it’s likely we would only be on speaking terms now. Lol.

Lol at number 18. Me I love to repeat stuff, especially when the person you are talking to is pretending not to hear what you said.

Hmmm! No 19, I really have to guard against this for number 19 especially at work. I am not saying there are wicked people where I work oh, lol but you know saying stuff you don’t really mean or massaging people’s ego in an effort to placate them or just because you don’t want trouble.

How is the weekend looking like. It’s like I have a very free one and I don’t intend to go out at all on Saturday. Not even to make my hair. 😊

Uncategorized

mildred
    May 19, 2017 at 1:32 pm

I used to struggle with Talking when I’m angry…I can just not send anybody at that tim e. Then I realized that I hurt more at the end of the day when I remember all what I said and it’s effect on the other person. And apologies are never enough. But now I find it very hard to even form words when I’m angry, I just walk away, for my on good. It takes a lot of work and God’s special grace to shut up…especially in this heat when everyone is angry and on the edge. God help us. Ps. The joy I get when I see a new post notification is just something else. PPS…eagerly waiting for Bible study

May 19, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Yeah not talking when angry isn’t as easy as it appears but it’s actually the best. But the effect on the other person and having to grovel and apologize to that other person made me realize it’s not worth it at the end of the day. Then worst is that one gets the tag of the “angry” person if one isn’t careful.

Yeah apologies aren’t always enough and not everyone forgives you at the end of the day.
      Good for you for working on self control. It’s not easy and your comment made me edit the original post and talk on number 1 on the list and a few more.

Awwwwww. That means a lot. Oya come and take hug. Thanks dear.

mildred
        May 19, 2017 at 3:03 pm

I like real hugs cus I’m a hugger *sobs*….might come to ibadan by December by his grace…and I shall find you… God bless you for me. I wish I could find words to explain what this blog means to me.

May 19, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Lol. Manage the e hugs for now. No problem dear. God keep us till then. Now you want me to start blushing abi. 😁
          Thanks Mildred. Yours and everyone’s comments always make me happy. Makes me feel I am not writing to myself and that someone out there is reading. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

May 20, 2017 at 6:00 am

I sulk when I’m angry. But I’m working on #9 and #16.

Sometimes my words are not interpreted the way I intended. It could result to issues in communication.

Thanks for sharing, Bisola.

May 22, 2017 at 10:09 am

I think I sulk more when it’s my immediate family hat annoyed me. Concerning 16, I think I am great listener, I just have the tendency to zone out if the person is chattering on and on. Lol
      That’s true. Sometimes my jokes fall flat and the person misses the point totally.

May 26, 2017 at 3:38 pm

These are great reminders. I tend to be very careful about 2,3,6 ….especially in the work place too. I tend to sulk and internalize stuff more so I’m not usually the speaking in anger type or yelling. I used to make do with sending stinger texts or mails(my way of speaking when I’m angry) . But the Lord is epping me even in that.

May 27, 2017 at 11:22 am

You are right. It’s so easy to join issues and castigate others because of what we heard they did even though we aren’t really sure and weren’t there when it happened.
      I can do all three depending on what the issue is. My sulking doesn’t stay long though. I give myself a pep talk or my sister raises the issue and I get over it. I feel you on those stinky messages or emails. They sound so reasonable while you are angry until you cool off and read them.