What’s your take on plants and herbs for medicinal purposes?

I took another ride in a big bus last month, and a man came in wielding green plants/herbs and a book on how to use plants and herbs to cure sicknesses.

He proceeded to verbalise the exact reasons why we HAD to buy that book and he went on and on and just like Precious said in this post , I almost ordered for one even though I had no intention of buying anything before the man showed up. I remembered her comment and smiled. I would still have bought the book oh but a quick peek at the contents from a woman reading nearby put me off (Remember my reading skills?).

First of all, the N200 book apparently contained the cure for everything. As in every common sickness.lol.  I would not have minded if it was restricted to a few, but this cured diabetes, asthma, fibroid, malaria, lack of blood to mention a few.

And there goes my problem with plants and herbs ( apart from the taste). My peek showed that the book did not leave any room for diagnosis. How do you know you have diabetes or fibroids if you didn’t get diagnosed at the hospital in the first place.

Another problem I have is the recipe for preparation. The words in the book went like this ” take so so and so plants or herbs, mix with this….. and add that…………” .

First of all if I knew what those plants and herbs were or how they looked in the first place, I wouldn’t be buying your book Mister 😀.

There was no quantity stated. So how plenty should the plants and herbs be?How long should it be cooked for, and what quantity should the other mixes be?

Plants and herbs

There’s also the matter of prescription. How long should it be taken ? In what quantity or dosage? How do you know if you are allergic to this stuff?  These are issues that give me pause.

Then there is the spiritual part.  Should Christians take herbal roots and plants?

I believe that God created this plants and herbs for our use. However, some of this plants and herbs have been perverted by evil powers from their original intent of creation by God. Instead of being used for healing, they have been hijacked for evil intents and to perpetrate evil. Thus you find that some Christians would rather avoid this stuff totally, and let’s not talk about how it smells.

Having said all that, in the midst of my prejudice, I was reminded of one time boiling leaves and lime helped me get over with typhoid. Ironically, I resorted to this because using chloramphenicol affected my blood and I had to discontinue it and look for something safer.

One time too, my brother had ulcer that defied medical attention . He was doing his housemanship ( internship) then at a teaching hospital but even that couldn’t save him from this strange ulcer. He spent a lot of money on drugs but nothing worked. His tummy became a god we couldn’t afford to provoke. No peppery food, no vegetables, no this. Guess what eventually did? Prayers plus dried paw paw seeds and he got better.

My Church discourages taking traditional or herbal concoctions, the sort sold in motor parks but even they had to admit that there’s nothing wrong with you boiling or making your own stuff to drink. I was happy with it, not because I had any intention of taking it ( bitter stuff and I ain’t friends) but because of the clarification.

Plants and herbs

So you can see that plants and herbs aren’t totally bad. A lot of the western drugs we use contain some of this stuff. According to Christian Medical Fellowship,

A significant number of plants and herbs originally provided natural sources for extremely valuable drugs that have now been identified, purified, evaluated for risk/benefit and eventually synthesised. These include digitalis (foxglove), aspirin (willow bark), morphine (poppy), quinine (cinchona bark) and antibiotics such as penicillin.

I was reading this post and I agree that the original purpose of creating this plants and herbs was a good one. God created this stuff for our use, and there are so many awesome ones. Moringa is an awesome plant and my brother sang its praises when he was in Nigeria. Apparently, he had a patient who once had a stroke and he started taking moringa and got better. My brother was so motivated that he brought the young plants to our house to replant them. Alas they died. Lol.

Back to the Book. FYI when you need blood just take tomato paste and mix it with Maltina. And viola, blood comes. Haha. Don’t ask me how Maltina ( a malt drink sold in Nigeria ) or tinned tomato qualifies as herbs oh. Ask the man. The combination is gross. Pls nobody take me serious oh.

Anyway! So how about you? Have you ever taken plants and herbs medicinally? Should it’s use be encouraged generally, should Christians use them?

What’s your take? Yes! Maybe! Or a firm NO

mildred
    April 13, 2017 at 9:18 am

Never taken any of that stuff because like you once it’s bitter or doesn’t smell nice..im running….but my younger brother was always getting sick in school and a lot of money was spent on drugs,tests and all that. Then someone suggested local herbs, my mum washed and boiled it at home and he got better, now the problem is actually the dosage. Cus today you can drink one cup, tomorrow one bottle. No one really knows how that works. But in all I think it’s pretty effective and as Christians, God made all this things for our good and use so if it’s working for them evil ones then it should work better for us.

April 13, 2017 at 9:30 am

I love your last words.” If it’s working for them evil ones then it should work better for us. ”
      That’s just it. God created all this stuff for our use.
      Overdosing and the smell are real issues this generation has with those stuff. Plus the deaths that over dependence on plants and herbs by less educated people have caused.
      Modern medicine has really made us sneer at the efficacy of plants and herbs for medicinal purposes but I agree with you that plants and herbs are still pretty effective.
      You need to know how much my brother spent on drugs for that ulcer.
      Thank you Mildred. I appreciate you

April 13, 2017 at 10:26 am

I use herbs and spices soo well&I love it as long as no incantations are involved. the very experts among d practitioners do av measurements bt in a case where it’s nt clearly stated,one can just try to stick to a certain average measurement like a ‘tumbler’.
    I had a colleague who wld av typhoid like every month & they found no way out despite d frequent hospital visits until someone prescribed a local mixture before she got her permanent healing wif prayers.i also once had a typhoid attack at night&it was relieved with home remedies.
    however, I don’t support people nt getting proper diagnosis before venturing into any form of treatment; be it orthodox.

April 13, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Lol at no incantation being involved. Seeing as we are Africans, that’s a valid point. That’s why it’s dangerous to take all this concoctions from herbalists and traditional healers.

I like how you highlighted how your colleague got her permanent healing through local mixture and prayers. Same with my brother. He was healed totally. God has marvelous healing powers right from the Bible and even up til now.

Yeah. If I hadn’t gone to a hospital when I had cold sores on my mouth, I would have thought it was malaria. Yet malaria test was negative. Thank God I hadn’t started treating malaria.

April 18, 2017 at 5:30 am

Hahaha Maltina and tin tomato?? How does that even work?? SMH. In Cameroon, there’s a similar combination of a red drink called Top Grenadine and tin tomato. Many believe drinking it increases blood in the body perhaps due to the red colour. That’s weird.
    I believe herbs are good but I would rather do my own research and boil my own leaves rather than follow some self-proclaimed herbalist. Most of them are native doctors in disguise.

Is the Precious you mentioned me? Lol. I clicked through to the post but couldn’t find what Precious said. Wrong link, perhaps.

Fun post, dear.

April 18, 2017 at 8:39 am

Lol. My thoughts exactly. How does that even work? I remember a woman who stayed with us at one point and always insisted that red palm oil too always put blood in the body.
      I concur with you. And some of them are so secretive they won’t even tell you what they put in it.
      Lol. Or course it’s you. Don’t mind me. Yes, it was a wrong link. I don’t know how I put “Time zone” there. It was supposed to be the post about my encounter in a Big bus. I have changed it.
      Here is what you said.
      “If you are not firm you might end up buying their products (which you do not need). I admire their resilience, though.”

Thank you for bringing it to my notice. Thanks dear.

Olaitan
    April 18, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Lmao, I legit said “tomato paste, bawo?” 😂😂😂. Hian. I understand maltina but tomato paste? The combination is soo gross. I enjoyed reading this post! I think herbs and medicinal plants are really good and effective because as you already said, most of the drugs we have now take raw materials from them. But I’m not even a fan of them. Too bitter!

April 19, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Lol. very disturbing combination. I still can’t fathom it.
      Thanks Laitan.
      Exactly. Laitan. Even if we avoid the raw materials, we still take it in a synthesised way. Yep! The taste leave much to be desired. At least bitter tablets leave your taste buds. These herbs and roots somehow doesn’t. I can still remember the taste vividly even as I write even though I haven’t taken them in years.

'seyi
    May 1, 2017 at 1:34 pm

But seriously that maltina and sachet tomato one tho, one remember my mom using it frequently, and I guessed it worked for her couple with eating of vegetables and fruit

May 2, 2017 at 11:13 am

Really? That’s interesting. I like Maltina by itself. Not with anything else added.