Danger signs to watch out for in your Christian walk

Danger signs to watch out for in your Christian walk

In this two-part series which is based on experience and observations, we are going to talk about the danger signs to watch out for in your Christian walk.

A popular adage says “a stitch in time saves nine”. In the same vein taking cognizance of this signs and taking the necessary steps can save us a whole lot of tears, regrets, sadness, guilt, sorrow, recriminations and from the danger of hell fire.

Danger signs to watch out for in your Christian walk.

1. Apathy.

Not caring about spiritual things is a sign to take note of. It’s a sign of danger.The moment when nothing of the spirit moves you, you don’t care about God or the things if the spirit, you don’t hate it and you don’t love it but you just don’t care. Your heart has become numb and nothing just moves you anymore. The pastor’s preaching is beginning to sound noisy and repetitive.

2. Disillusionment with the Church, a pastor or a Christian.

A lot of people have stopped attending church as a result of feeling let down by the Church body as a whole. One of the major fallouts of the pedophile scandal in the Catholic Church abroad was that people drew back from the Catholic Church.

Danger signs in Christian walk

In Nigeria, we hear numerous stories of pastors cheating, stealing, having affairs, lying etc.

Read my post on how to handle disappointment by a spiritual mentor here

It is hard to keep your faith when a priest who is supposed to be trustworthy raped you as a child. I know someone whose disappointment in his then pastor and his experience as a worker in Church gave him serious issues.

However, we are Christians after the order of Jesus Christ and not after human beings. Atilola’s post I have decided to stop attending church  has a great take on this.
And we have to be careful not to let out negative experience with pastors, priests, Christians and supposed Christians draw us away from our first love which is Christ.

Immediately you sense that a negative story or experience is causing you to lose your faith, please find someone to talk to.

3. Prayer life, worship and Bible study becomes difficult.

The moment when you start struggling to pray or read the Bible, go into worship, sing praises or spend less time than you used to is one of the danger signs to watch out for in your Christian walk. This has happened to me more than once. The good thing is that I recognize it for what it is – a demonic plan to draw me away from God and leave me open to his attacks and I act accordingly.

If even thinking of praying and singing praise makes you feel tired and reluctant, and you can only manage to muster one or two sentences of prayer and one half heartedly sang song, then you need to watch it.

Take time out to pour your heart to God and tell him what is happening, now take the steps to revive your prayer life and Bible study. There’s a very helpful post with Tips on better Bible studying and reading here.

Another great post is Getting intimate and personal with God.

4. Loss of fellowship with God.

This is danger sign with  RED colour. Lol. Of course this presupposes that you must have been fellowshiping with God in the first place.

Just in case you haven’t been fellowshipping with God you are missing out oh. Haha. I am serious.

Having God tell you stuff can be amazing. God wants us to fellowship with him. Any one who hears from God and talks to him will tell you it’s the sweetest feeling ever. You feel so connected, so joyous, so filled up that when that fellowship stops, you feel empty, you feel lonely.

One first step is to repent of whatever causes that loss of fellowship and take steps to renew and reconnect with God.

5) Filling the void with wrong things.

Danger signs in your Christian walk

When you do not have that fellowship with God, you feel empty, there’s a void and before you know it you seek to fill it with sex, drugs , cigarettes, gossip, TV and other stuff instead of going back to God.

You see how a stitch in time saves nine. The moment you notice that void and loneliness, don’t be tempted to numb it, reconnect with God.

Concerning danger signs to watch out for in your Christian walk, we will stop here for now ? .

Update- Read the second part and conclusion of this post here.

Christian Life

March 4, 2017 at 6:09 pm

thank u for this.
    this leads me to one of the many benefits of retreat; even when one isn’t sensing any danger signs yet, a retreat helps bring our souls closer to d father while denying d body of some earthly ‘extras’.

March 4, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Dee! Thank you for the comment. I will be sure to add “retreat” as one of the things to do to get back on track after noticing danger signs or even as a safeguard or as a means of connecting to God when I complete the next part.

March 5, 2017 at 1:22 pm

I love love love this post!
    We are after Jesus and not man. So even when man disappoints, we should continue to trust Christ because He never disappoints.
    Taking stock of one’s spiritual life is very important. The Bible says if anyone thinks he is standing, he should be careful, lest he should fall. It is important to constantly check if we are still growing and if we are still desiring God like we should.
    Let me add that there are no in betweens. There is no room for lukewarmness. We should be either hot or cold. Thanks for this post, Bisi!

March 5, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Yes Precious. Constant self examination and checking if we are still growing and desiring God is really important.
      A lot of people who missed it never thought they could miss it. They were so confident in their faith and relied on their own power. The thing is the Holy Spirit may have left some people and because they aren’t sensitive, they don’t realize it and continue with business as usual. Only to realize this when things have gone awry and Satan has had a field day.
      Christians cannot afford to be stagnant. We have to grow. We can’t be taking milk when we ought to have graduated to solid food.and the only way to know for sure is to check.
      These signs may seem little but they reveal a lot. And I am talking from experience and from what I have seen in the lives of others.
      It’s never too late to go back to Jesus.

“Let me add that there are no in betweens. There is no room for lukewarmness. We should be either hot or cold”. Word ?
      Thanks Sis.

Ruby
    March 10, 2017 at 10:40 am

I’m currently in the danger zone. I’m bothered but somehow, I can’t help myself. I can’t remember the last time I prayed on my own.

March 10, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Dear Ruby! It’s okay. The first step is to acknowledge that something is wrong which you have done. You have to take a few minutes to reflect. Be honest with yourself and ask what happened down the line to draw you further from God.
      If there’s anything repent of whatever it is and ask for forgiveness.
      You are right, you can’t help yourself. Only God can. He will give you the strength. Just go to him in prayer. Nothing formal, just pour your heart out and tell him exactly what you said here.
      He’s a merciful God. And he answers prayers. Anything I find difficult to do or stop doing , I tell him and he has never said what I asked for was too silly or stupid. He always answers.

Danger signs to watch out for in your Christian walk ( Part 2 ) plus tips on what to do - SisterBisi
    March 11, 2017 at 10:16 pm

[…] Bisola on Danger signs to watch out for in your Christian walk […]

August 10, 2017 at 10:09 am

Awww, bibi! Thanks for this. For a while, Bible study has been quite difficult due to late waking and a busy schedule but I’ve realised that I’ve got no excuse. This is really beautiful!

August 11, 2017 at 10:36 am

That’s what the post is for. So that we can take cognisance before things fall apart because of these things start little by little