Ten simple tips for better Bible reading/studying.

Bible

Hi guys. A lot of people make Bible reading seem so easy, but for a lot of us, it’s not as simple as picking it up and reading. Some of us struggle with reading the Bible. It’s either there’s no urge at all to even read it, or we have the urge but we don’t like reading it.

Some of us really really want to be that person that opens his or her Bible everyday, without guilt or needing prompting but it just isn’t working.  You either pick it up with good intentions and get distracted by the Tv or Facebook, a ringing phone or a crying baby, or you start reading and you get bored half way through. You don’t understand what you are reading but you know you have to go through the motions.

I have news for us. Bible reading and studying can be fun and interesting, you can totally be that person who reads the Bible everyday without being forced to.

Here are some simple tips.

1) Prayer.

If you struggle with Bible reading , then praying and telling God your mind and desire to read more of his word can really help. This is what worked for me above all others. I simply laid my heart out to God.

2) Get a Bible you can understand.

I think it’s a good idea to have a KJV,  but it has a lot of “thou” and “unto”, and if you find it hard to understand or read then it’s a good idea to get a simpler version for starters. You can compare notes with the King James Version later on when you get the hang of it. A few people I spoke with give the Amplified version good reviews. It’s also a good idea to have more than one version so you can compare notes.

3) Buy a new Bible.

At times we literally judge a book by its cover. And that cover may not motivate us to read it. Be honest with yourself, do you love the way your Bible looks, are you motivated to read It? If the answer is no, get a new Bible, one you picked out by yourself. I really thought I needed a new Bible because of the Class I teach, that is until I bought two new ones , KJV and NIV ( don’t judge me, i have difficulty choosing stuff, there were literally tons of Bibles at that Bookshop ) and I realized that I also needed a new Bible.   I love the cover and I love touching, holding, reading them. I have practically abandoned the old one. Lol. On top of all the love I professed in that post.

4) Get a Bible reading plan.

Bible reading plans are a good way to study the Buble within a specified time. While it may sound cool to be that person who opens any page in the Bible and reads it. Thing is, if you aren’t at that level yet, you end up reading in an unorganized manner. Some of us need structure. Work out the best reading plan for you. Could be Chapter by chapter, Book by book, Start right at the Beginning and end at Revelation, part by part etc.

5) Get a devotional.

Devotionals all have Bible reading plans designed to complete the Bible within a certain period. if it works for you, go for it. It doesn’t work for me though, as I tend to read a lot of pages of the devotional when I remember I have one, sometimes I flip to the end or the middle.

6) Determination and Discipline.

You have to be determined to read that Bible.Bible reading Your flesh doesn’t want to read the Bible, it wants to Instagram and watch Chelsea vs Tottenham or Man U. Lol ( can you tell I don’t watch football?) It wants to sleep and gossip, You need to train it to obey what you want. You cannot do that without the help of the Holy Spirit. You therefore have to want to read the Bible. Determine how you want to read and study and keep to it.

7) Get a pen and paper.

Thi is to write down what comes to mind as you read the Bible. It helps a lot as you can always refer back to it.

8)  Download an app.

Yay! Now you have an excuse to stare at your phone or device all day. There are many great Bible apps and devotionals so that will make Bible reading easier. You literally have it at hand wherever you go. So no excuse.

9) Download or buy Concordance, Bible Dictionaries, Commentaries and study Bibles.

These aid your understanding. Just be sure to let the Holy Spirit also explain and interpret to you. Don’t forget that the Bible was written with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

10) Get an audio Bible.

This should not replace your physical Bible but if you are the spoken word type, you will love it. you can listen in the Car, while working, before sleeping etc. You can also play music if you like listening to music. By music I mean godly music oh, that can put you in the mood to read the Bible.

Ehhhhhmmmm!  I have run out of tips oh. Lol. I hope this helps someone.

Don’t be afraid to read the Bible your way.

Bible reading

If you are a slow reader, no sense rushing it. If you like motivation, you can have a reading group on whatsapp and a few of you can remind yourselves to read everyday. If you need accountability, then tell someone who can keep you accountable everyday till you find your feet. Don’t forget to meditate and pray.

You should totally read up on the Bible Characters study  I just started on the blog. It’s aimed at motivating us to want to know more about those characters and by extension the Bible. God will help all of us in Jesus name.

Pls feel free to add more tips. How do YOU study the Bible?  What helps you to read it often ? What makes you not read often?

We would love to know.

Christian Life

Immanuel
    January 11, 2017 at 1:10 am

wow! such helpful tips
    You right nailed it well. I remembered there was a time I didn’t read the bible for weeks and trust me, it was a miserable experience. I would be staring at my bible but i wont FEEL motivated to read it all the same.

I practiced some of the tips you listed above and it has helped. One thing I noticed is that I hated being constricted , therefore reading plan and some daily reading devotionals don’t work for me. I could finish reading a devotional in a sitting and sometimes flip haphazardly through.

One thing I discovered is that I love the audio bible (Yoruba version especially) and so whenever i am too lazy to read my physical bible, i switched over to that. (The truth is i get bored easily but audio listening keeps me alert and active)

I actually switched between audio listening and physical reading of my bibles (Physical and the different version on my phone)

Praying also help a lot too

Thanks for sharing these wonderful tips! God bless

January 11, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Haha. So devotionals don’t work for you too. It took me precious years to gone to this realization. I have a new one for 2017 my sister practically made sure I bought, and I haven’t even finished reading a page.
      It’s important that you know yourself and tailor your reading plan according to what works best.
      You make the audio Bible sound so fun. now I am really interested in getting the Yoruba audio version. How did you get yours?
      Thank you took for commenting. Amen. And you too.

E
    January 11, 2017 at 5:13 am

Great tips Bisi! I used to be one of those people who thought the Bible was so difficult to understand till a friend blessed me with an NIV bible with my name on it! Oh the joy of having a bible that I can actually enjoy reading. It is a study bible and the notes help me understand the scriptures and gives me a different perspective on verses I have read before. Your writing is so relatable! I’ll be using these tips!

January 11, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Thanks dear. Your kind comments warm my heart.
      Having a Bible that no one forces us to read or struggle to read is an amazing feeling.
      It’s nice that the gift was a great one. Some people have Bibles that were gifted to them and it’s just collecting dust on the shelf because it’s not one they would have bought for themselves.
      I love the idea of a Study Bible. We should dig more into the Word of God and read what other people have to say.
      Thank you dear. No be by my power.

Brenda
    January 11, 2017 at 2:08 pm

For me, the best if still NIV… Simple words and easy to understand.
    The essence of reading a bible is to understand it and all those thou art makes it tiring for me, even though they are closest to the original words as passed by God to his people.

Very lovely article to read. More power to your elbow Bisi.

Brendascouch.com

January 11, 2017 at 3:11 pm

I love NIV too. I understand it’s text more and it just flows. I just have a few issues with the removal of some text which if you aren’t familiar with it in KJV you won’t notice.
      Yeah KJV is closest to the original words. All the scriptures I memorized are all in KJV text. It’s too much work rememorising them in NIV. Besides KJV is what I have to use to teach in Church.
      Thanks dear. And you too.

@cakeswalkintall
    January 11, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Hmmm.. Nice piece. Anybody having issues with studying (not reading) the bible should go get a Message version to go with KJV or NKJV. I actually have a app on my phone with about 5 offline versions. MSG wld blow your mind! It’s like ready made Rhema. Its poetic! It opens up God’s word to you in contemporary words. Go try it!

January 11, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Interesting. I like the way you emphasize studying as opposed to reading. They aren’t the same. You can read without studying but you can’t study without reading.
      Really? I have to check it out. I like your review.

Immanuel
    January 11, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Actually got the New testament (Yoruba version) from my aunt and I am telling you, you will love it! I have been trying to get the OT but no luck

You can get the Yoruba bible (audio version) from Bible wonderland or other big Christian bookshops, I think.

January 11, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Waoh! I need Aunts like that too who will ‘dash’ me godly stuff. Lol.
      I will check Scripture Union Bookshop. To be honest, that’s the only big Christian Bookshop I know of in this Ibadan and where I got the Bibles and some books. They have a large range of Bibles and Books.. Hopefully they have it.

Olaitan
    January 12, 2017 at 12:36 am

This post definitely helps someone. All the tips are apt. I particularly like the prayer part. It helps. For sometime, I dropped my devotional and started doing the open Bible thing because I felt I kept using my devotional on a routinal basis and not because I wanted to. The open Bible worked for some time and it made prayer more interesting because I knew I had to concentrate so as to get the word for that day. Now, I’ve gotten an entirely different devotional and I’m eager to see how it works. I never thought about it but having a rough Bible cover goes a long way. Lol. A friend has this really cute girly Bible with interesting side notes and I can’t imagine not wanting to open it. Lol @ godly songs oh. Thanks for sharing this. Have a great year.

January 12, 2017 at 11:46 am

Thanks Laitan. And welcome. Happy new year to you too. Wish you an amazing and satisfying 2017.
      Waoh! It’s interesting that that you preferred the open part. You see how different things work out for different people.
      I realized that I needed structure so opening randomly didn’t work for me.I was able to concentrate but I could go days without voluntarily opening the Bible. So I worked out a structure and reading plan tailored to my needs and personality but without a strict routine.
      What worked for me was discipline and prayers.
      Routine gets boring to me even in real life so it’s no surprise that devotional routine do not work.
      I read them but reading them everyday doesn’t work, so using a devotional for Bible reading for me would have been an unserious plan.
      My sister on the other hand is a devotional fan.Day by day.

FTJ
    January 12, 2017 at 8:02 am

Very helpful, doable tips. Thank you. Someone I knew in school used to say “if the Bible is not keeping you away from sin, sin is keeping you away from the Bible”.
    Audio Bibles work for me and even help me memorise Bible passages. Please, I need recommendations for an offline Bible. Especially one with different versions. Thank you.

January 12, 2017 at 11:13 am

Thanks dear. Happy new year to you.
      Lol. That person is correct. Reading the Word of God strengthens us and builds our faith.
      Nice that audio works for you. I am more of a written word person, but I am loving the idea of the audio Bible more and more, what with the reviews from those who have used them.
      The You Version on my android is great, they have different versions, you may have to download the offline ones you want though. What device do you want to use it on? If it’s Google play store you can also search for Bible offline, it brings lots of options.
      For the KJV on My iPad I use Tecarta, and it’s offline, but the Harper Collins has great reviews and different versions.
      On whatever store you are getting it from: blackberry, android, Nokia or Apple, just search and download one or two. Sometimes I chose the one that looks attractive. Lol. A few days of using it and you will know if it works for you or not.

January 16, 2017 at 8:05 am

Sis, I love this post!
    Getting a new Bible could be such a great boost. I recently got myself one and it’s been so inspiring to read.
    There’s nothing like studying the word of God. Thank you for sharing these tips.

January 16, 2017 at 10:07 am

Correct. It’s easy to say I don’t need a new Bible, that is until you get a new one and you fall head over heels with it.lol.
      Thanks my dear.

Tega
    February 1, 2017 at 1:43 pm

lol @ your flesh doesn’t want to read the bible it wants to watch football. To be honest, I still struggle. I have tried using the audio bible …didn’t work, I got a simpler version. So far, using the open heavens devotional and following the bible in one year work for me… off course till you fall astray again. It takes the grace of God really and discipline like you mentioned. Thanks for sharing this tips.

2 Years Blogniversary + A Giveaway for you!!!
    27 Valentine’s Day Blog Post Ideas and content for February

February 1, 2017 at 11:35 pm

Lol. It’s true. I have discovered that the flesh is a major culprit in not wanting to read the Bible or causing distractions at the exact point you want to read it.
      Sometimes struggling with the flesh, I am victorious and I carry my Bible and can’t still concentrate. I am reading but not reading. So I continue staring at it till the flesh realizes that ” I am reading this Bible today whether it likes it or not”. After a little while, i sense victory and I am able to assimilate. And that day’s battle is won. Lol.
      Different stuff works for different people. I had to personalize a reading plan before I could make pregress. And of course the Grace of God . Honestly it takes grace. It’s not by our power.

February 22, 2017 at 12:43 am

Awesome posts. Like great tips!
    I’ve used most and they’ve worked.
    I’m not all together a devotional person. Realized that at some point but still use it when I can. Getting a new Bible is one of the sweetest way to study the Bible.
    Bible reading used to be tiresome to me previously. But not anymore.

February 23, 2017 at 8:36 am

I am not a devotional person too but I love my new Bible. ?
      Thank you Tamie for your comment.

'seyi
    March 1, 2017 at 10:19 am

I must say, this tips are helpful, last year bible reading was amazing for me, and getting a devotional and a new bible Really helped. I pray God strengthen me again this year, am lagging behind my bible reading.
    Good job sister bisi!!

March 2, 2017 at 11:15 am

Thanks dear.
      That’s good to hear. All you devotional people. Well done.
      I pray that God strengthens you. Just take it one day at a time and imbibe discipline. As I said, the flesh doesn’t want to read the Bible. So sometimes you have to read it even when you don’t want to.

Danger signs to watch out for in your Christian walk - SisterBisi