Seven questions people ask when you are single

Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring to you some of the questions single ladies and guys get asked as soon as they graduate or as soon as they are considered to be of marriageable age.

1) When are we coming to eat rice/ when are you inviting us?

If you mistakenly attend a wedding while still single and of marriageable age, you will not escape this comment especially if you attend with friends or family. Lol.It’s like the wedding atmosphere suddenly reminds them that you are single, and marks you out for inquisition.

They ask you seriously, in what they think is a playful manner as if you are deliberately withholding the rice or IV, and keeping them from eating it out of wickedness. Lol.

2) What is the Problem?

Lol. This is usually followed by a list of whatever attributes they think you possess. God forbid you be a good Christian/good cook /tall, doctor / lawyer/ engineer, or nice or beautiful or tall or  thin or curvy or tiny/or pretty or have a job or sing in church or whatever and still be single.

And they ask this so seriously as if if you say yes, they can solve the problem. Why does being single have to mean there is any problem. Why does waiting to Marry the right person, ensuring you get it right,  have to be a problem.

Do they even think that maybe, just maybe there really isn’t a problem except the people that keep asking you such questions.

3) You know you aren’t getting any younger? Lol.

This is really a comment phrased as a question. And they really expect you to answer. And I wonder whether to sarcastically say yes or no. I mean, pls what kind of question is that.

Who gets younger in the first place? When you are not Brad Pitt in that movie, I forget the name. So what kind of question is that. Yes I had to ask again. Orishirishi.

4) Hope you aren’t being choosy/selective?

This is usually followed by sermons on how the speaker met his wife or her husband. How you can’t meet any perfect man or woman, how you don’t need to love him or her immediately , how love grows, how all you need is prospect, he/ she doesn’t have to be rich now, riches will come in time etc etc. And you are wondering, kini gbogbo eleyi ( What is all this?)  Lol.

5) “Your own too will come”, followed by one or two unsolicited prayers. Usually after your friend, cousin or sister weds ( if it’s your younger brother/ sister/cousin then na to add extra prayers be that) but sometimes it’s just random.

This is not a question per se, but to me it’s still a coded question hidden in prayers.

6) What is happening?

This question is usually left open ended. I call it the fill in the gap question. And if you dare ask ” to what”, they are quick to fill you in and answer ” maritally ” or ” concerning marriage”.

Sometimes , You may even repeat after them ” what is happening like how” to buy time, but you know what they are asking. “Babe/ Guy! Why are you still not married?”.

The difference between this and the ” what is the problem” crew is that this set expect you to start from the beginning, they want to hear your life story, plus any sordid gist.

So be prepared.

7) How is your fiancé / fiancée ?

My answer to this depends on my mood, where I am, or who is asking? The people who ask this almost always want information too. They feel you have passed the boyfriend stage so they ask you about the fiancé / fiancée you did not ever tell them you had or have.

As for the “how is your husband and kids ” team, I have no comment. Lol.

Bonus questions especially from Church people are ” Are you praying” or ” What is God saying?

In my opinion, most of this questions can be annoying and tactless but sometimes it is asked out of good intentions so no point getting annoyed. God is the author of marriage, and he will do what is good at the right time.

So let’s talk guys, what other questions do people ask you as a single man or woman, or when you were single.

Have you been asked any of the above?

Life, Relationships

NOWO Blog: Adenowo Seyi
    December 13, 2016 at 11:11 pm

LMAO. Funny write up but jokes apart this issh is true. I got all these quotes rinks during my sisters wedding. I just say, you know “I’m 21, right?” . And he name if the movie is “the peculiar case of Benjamin Bottons” I remember because I might have cried about 2 or 3 times during the movie.

December 14, 2016 at 12:18 am

Thanks dear. You are correct.Thats the name. It totally skipped my mind. So it’s tears that helped you remember the name. Interesting. I bet you cry at sentimental films. What happened when you watched Titanic? Lol.
      Don’t mind them jare. At 21. I am sure they were just using style to ask so they can know if you have a serious boyfriend or fiancé yet?
      People can be funny. And annoying.

December 14, 2016 at 10:00 am

you’re soo right. some people do so out of sincerity while others do it out of contempt.we Africans place too much unnecessary emphasis on marriage while disregarding the need to marry right &for the right reasons

December 14, 2016 at 3:54 pm

You are very correct. Too much emphasis on marriage in this part of the World ; Any kind of marriage whether happy or unhappy , good one or bad one when we should be emphasizing marrying the right person, marrying according to God’s purpose, marrying for the right purpose and not just because of pressure.
      Thanks for coming by. Please come again.

Zinny
    December 14, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Such a funny post. Hahaha. Nice blog.

December 14, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Lol. Thank you Zinny. And thanks for coming by.

Brenda
    December 15, 2016 at 10:02 am

You didn’t add the usual one…. ”You know we don’t have time like men”…

Thayt ‘s one statement way de pain me like mad eh…

This piece is fun to read but with a serious message for the women and to me, when its your time, its your time…

Don’t rush marriage because people are showing concern. Do it it because its the right time.

Love you girl…

December 15, 2016 at 11:07 am

Abi oh. women don’t have time like men, meaning that what? They should hop onto the next available marriage bus; somehow implying that we women somehow don’t deserve the best, can’t afford to be patient, be selective, or marry the best because we aren’t men.

“Do you still want to be doing sisi” is another one I have heard..
      My dear, it’s a serious message. Plus those people who ask those questions should know that their questions also mount pressure.
      One can show concern by praying for the person even without their knowledge. It’s not by questions or constant reminder.

December 18, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Lmoa…lemme not lie. I’m so guilty of this. I ask my sister this questions a lot. I think I know how she feels now and would def. stop. However, I can’t wait to eat wedding jollof that is home – owned

December 19, 2016 at 3:48 pm

When sisters, parents , close friends or relatives ask those questions, You know they care at some level.
      The annoying thing is when random strangers, family friends, friends, family etc ask you.
      Just ask her with some tact and some love. Her reaction will definitely hint you on how she’s taking it. And pray for or with her.

Immanuel
    January 8, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Funny post, Hehehe.

What is it with people and singleness and marriage gaan, fa? Afterall they are all gone after eating the jollofu and I will have to deal with the messes of a wrong decision (God forbid though).

Once someone asked me about my singleness, I simply replied *I’m in love with my wife who lives in the future*

*by the way my wife’s prayer must be powerful to keep me sane and straight all this while though, Lol

January 9, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Lol. Thanks.
      Don’t mind them jare. Some of these nagging people aren’t even happily married themselves. Sometimes, I feel they are looking for people to come join them in their misery. The thing is a miserable marriage isn’t my portion.
      God forbid. The Lord will lead you right.
      Lol. Great answer. The kind of short answer that brings long silence.
      Sure, whether simple or powerful prayer, God answers all.

Marshall
    January 9, 2017 at 12:44 pm

You’re doing a good job here. Keep it up

January 9, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Thank you Marshall. Welcome. Do check back.

Oredex
    February 11, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Wish I could say am sorry for every single wrongly-timed question. Though most na with good intention sha. But guess hearing it like this makes understand better.

Pleading guilty as charged…

February 11, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Awww. Thanks dear.
      Those asking don’t really consider how the people they are asking feel. I know it’s with good intentions sometimes but it can also be annoying. Especially coming from people you aren’t even close to. If you are close to me and you ask me once, I won’t get irritated. But when you call me once in a blue moon and all you can ask me is “What is happening? ” or you are close to me and you keep bugging me, sooner or later we go fight oh. ?.