Do I really need a new Bible?

I feel like I may need to change my Bible soon but I am not so sure.

I have had the one I use since my University days, and I love it so much . There are tons of markings and jottings inside it in blue, red, black pens.  I feel like it needs to be changed but I don’t know if I will feel the same way with a new one…..HOWEVER this current one is about ten years, (it is that old ) and I have glued it once or twice once it started to get torn just because I didn’t want to let go of it.

I am not certain I can salvage the front and Back covers any longer. Especially the front. The inside pages are still intact though even if a little brown. I think it needs changing soon though.

Plus I teach on Sunday mornings in the Church, and I don’t know if it’s my imagination, but I feel the people in my class are sort of judging me   for having such an old – should have been changed – Bible or will sort of wonder why it’s so old.

Does it really matter how my Bible looks? It shouldn’t, should it? It’s mine to read and no one else’s. Plus the words inside are still legible. Besides an old Bible is a good thing right? Shows it’s not just for decoration. People can be funny though. Or maybe I am imagining things. But I am definitely not exaggerating how the front cover looks. I am slightly ashamed to post a pic.

What kind of Version of the Bible do you use? I use a King James Version. And I have been thinking of getting a simpler version. You know,  written in simpler English.

Do you use a Study Bible or a Commentary?

I have the Matthew Henry Concise Commentary on my phone but I have realized that I love to discover what the Bible says by myself. I still use it in some instances.  It was useful when I went through the Book of Exodus.

Do you recommend any Bible Version, Reading Plan or study outline?i would love for you to contribute to this post by dropping a comment.

Advice, Christian Life

Brenda
    December 9, 2016 at 7:08 am

King James version has a lot of versions too with different interpretations.. To me, if the Back and Front covers are eye sore, then you ought to have changed it long ago, really.
    And to me, it really matters how the Bible looks especially if its the one you take to church.

December 9, 2016 at 11:03 am

Really. I only know about New King James Version. I will check the rest out.
      Lol. Not changing it was mostly due to the markings and jottings I have on it. I don’t think I can transfer all of them to a new Bible.
      Yeah! It matters abi. Thanks.

FTJ
    December 10, 2016 at 9:25 pm

yes! all the markings and jottings matter. at least to me. you could get those people who print/bind documents to suggest a suitable type of new cover and fix it for you. if it’s done well, it could hold u for a couple more years. I have a hard time letting go of not just my old Bible but old diaries, drafts & stuff like that too.

December 11, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Waoh. That’s true oh.if they bind and give it a new cover, it will be almost as good as new. I still need a study Bible or a different Bible version from King James though. But if I bind this one, I can use them together.
      I have a hard time letting go of everything sef, I feel like I might need them sometime,I have to close my eyes and throw some stuff away. And then I go back and retrieve some of them again from where I thee them. Lol.

December 12, 2016 at 10:05 am

Well, you might just have to change it for the purpose f outing while you keep your old bible for the purpose of home study.

December 12, 2016 at 10:54 am

Yes dear, that is looking like the best solution.
      Thanks dear for coming by.
      How were your exams? Are you through?

Biodun
    December 13, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Been using mine over two years now as a minister and I love it dearly but the most important thing is the words in our hearts and how we apply it to our lives. Doesn’t matter how sophisticated your bible looks. Demons tremble when u quote scriptures confidently like you know the power it wields. Really enlightening write up.
    Thanks a lot

December 13, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Thanks Sis.
      Don’t be a stranger.

December 16, 2016 at 8:22 am

Hi friend,

I read a quote somewhere that says a Bible that is falling apart often belongs to a soul that isn’t. Your old Bible shows how much you have loved it over the years. I recently bought a women’s study Bible from Amazon which I deeply love. Have you tried the Amplified Bible?? It is epic.

December 16, 2016 at 10:39 am

My dear Pre Pre. I was thinking of sending an email but I kept postponing it. I wasn’t quite sure what to write.
      I like that quote.
      No I haven’t tried the Amplified Bible. But I am going Bible shopping before the year ends. I really need one in simpler English. I was reading 1st Corinthans today and a few verses weren’t too clear the way it’s phrased in KJV English.
      Thanks for coming by.

Ten simple tips for better Bible reading/studying. – SisterBisi
    January 10, 2017 at 9:50 pm

[…] If the answer is no, get a new Bible, one you picked out by yourself. I really thought I needed a new Bible because of the Class I teach, that is until I bought two new ones , KJV and NIV ( don’t […]

March 3, 2017 at 6:40 pm

There are three translations I love and use… Nkjv, NLT and amplified.
    The study Bible I use is the Joyce Meyer study Bible it comes in amplified. It makes reading the Bible a joy.
    I don’t really use an commentaries, and I search reading plans on you version bible app depending on the topic I want to study.

March 3, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Waoh! That’s interesting. I haven’t looked into the NLT so I can’t actually talk about it. Yeah! A lot of people have good things to say about the amplified. Maybe next year I will get a study Bible and see how it goes.
      Good to hear. Reading the Bible ought to be a joyful experience. No sense stressing it up.
      I like commentaries just that I prefer to read it myself sometimes and hear what the Holy Spirit is pointing out about to me when u read.
      Really! You can do that on You Version? Search Reading plans? I have a you version Bible app but I haven’t actually bothered to maximize it. I just use it to read the Bible from my phone.

'seyi
    March 8, 2017 at 11:03 pm

I think you should try NLV bible and try downloading the nlt bible app too, they are both great. The ‘thou’ saidst’ ‘sayest’ ‘tarried’ can be so confusing when reading KJV. What I did was to get a goodnews bible alongside KJV, if the KJV no enter well well, I will just switch to good news or nlt. Both I still go back to king James sha ooo, because simplify versions have a way of removing the ‘iginle’ of a word. Words in KJV are very powerful tho.

March 10, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Thanks for your comment, I will look into the NLV and NLT.
      I agree about King James Version. It can be a bit verbose or contains lots of old words but it’s also closest to the original translation which is why a copy is still necessary. Yeah! And powerful too.